Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Seaside


Last week I went for a few days to Mangalia again. I went there acting as a "matchmaker" between two friends but these few days ended up being more fun than other longer holidays at the seaside. On the way there, between two sleep sessions, I took some photos from the train window. Cernavoda bridge and some lighthouses were delightful in the morning sun.
Anghel Saligny Bridge     More info at:                                                                                     
    Eforie North Lighthouse
 In Mangalia, I made a point of visiting again the Esmahan Sultan Mosque built in 1575 by Esmahan, the daughter of Ottoman sultan Selim II. It is the oldest Muslim religious building in Romania. It serves a community of 800 Muslim families, most of them of Turkish and Tatar ethnicity. It was renovated in the 1990s and includes a graveyard with 300-year old tombstones. When the mosque was built, they used stones from the walls of the ancient Callatis fortress. The stones used for building the ritual fountain in the courtyard, came from an old Roman tomb.
 
 
  
Speaking of Callatis, I like the fact that you can find its ruins all around and especially the idea that there is still more to be discovered about it. I always try to imagine what is a few feet from the promenade under the veil of the sea. I went to the local museum and I was pleasantly surprised that it has more artifacts than a few years ago. It has the same problem as many museums in Romania, the scarcity of explanatory, contextual notes, but none the less its pieces impress even a neophyte.
Here are some snapshots I took around.








Walking around randomly, I discovered some things I haven't noticed before. For example, I liked the architecture of the local court house and the building next to it. I always like to see buildings in an old Romanian style. I think nothing can be more natural than carved wood. It represents us.
 
 

I returned to a central square where I spent many holiday days across the years. I always liked its free space and its two central points. The horizon is adorned by a  typical communist mosaic (which becomes stunning in its context) on a typical communist culture hall. A few steps further is the shape of a church, the declared nongrata building of the communist era. That sculptural work of art representing an orthodox church is beautiful in itself, but joining that communist fresco on the blue sky, becomes an organic representation of Romania.
 On a more relaxed note, I enjoyed the sun and I got a nice tan even if I hadn't the patience to lay down on the sand at least for a minute. There are enough things to do around if you get easily bored like me.
 I watched some people practicing and learning para sailing. It seemed great. I know I enjoyed windsurfing a lot, so this must be terrific too. I was a bit reluctant this time because I don't know to swim. But I received assurance that the parachute will hold me above the water. So...next time I will reserve some special time to do this.




Walking through town I began craving sweets. So, I decided to gather up from the local party shops a collection of sweets that I don't regularly eat. Of course, the friend I was with, helped me with the selection, but we needed the help of the men to attack them. And we managed to conquer only half of the selection. Here is a part of it in photos.

No comments: