Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Past nostalgia

 A friend has sent me this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRtL-rFKwA&feature=related
I watch these images with a bit of envy. I know that those people had a harder life than ours and they had to work a lot, but I can't stop feeling that they were happier. They had a much simpler life, less stressful, regulated through ancient customs and superstitions. I know that my image of those times is a bit embellished by what I heard from my parents, grandparents and great grandparents. Last summer I camped for some nights in a village museum in Maramures (Sighetu Marmatiei). I was the strangest feeling to stay there among those very old houses. I could almost see the past generations stepping barefoot on the rich grass and the children running on the wooden porches; the birds' song seemed to carry their voices from the past too. One morning I woke up in a powerful fragrance of fresh cut grass. outside a young peasant couple was reaping as their ancestors have been doing for thousands of years. And, of course :), the woman was far ahead and hurrying him.
I got the same feeling of "at home" when I visited this summer the village museum from Bucharest. This was even more fantastic than the one from the North. I was overwhelmed - I didn't know where to go and look first. Three were so many details to notice, so much life moments to imagine...I felt that I wanted to move there. It was part of that old world I fantasise about. I really have a past nostalgia ...I don't know how entitled. Maybe these people were fantasising about these times and their comfort.


No comments: