Friday, November 9, 2012

God's will

Changing channels last night I found an episode from Ally McBeal when she went in a confessional. That stirred me up in a bad way. I remembered my participation to the religious service in a catholic cathedral as a observer during my Master studies. Going there with several colleagues and a professor, we had to identify different behaviours After the class, one of my colleagues expressed her desire to go and experience the confession in one of the confessionals there. She presented herself first to the priest/ pastor (I don't remember the term) and asked if she could do that in spite of the fact that she was Orthodox. Afterwards she told us about the experience and even wrote a paper from that point of view. I remember fondly her initiative and her willingness to try different experiences, as part of her general joie de vivre. She was the daughter of an Orthodox priest form one of the villages from Northern Moldavia known for their religious traditions, so she had been raised in a very strict environment. Unfortunately, her very happy, energetic life ended a year later after graduating her Master degree in a car accident when she tried to go in front of a truck. She and her baby boy, who was with her in the car, died at once. Hearing about her death, I couldn't stop myself to think, in a clearly pessimistic Romanian way, that she had been to happy to live very long. There is a deeply rooted belief in Romania that geniuses and happy people can't have a long life - God isn't patient enough and demands their company very soon.

No comments: