Monday, June 11, 2012

Elections gossip

Today was a very relaxing. I am writing about it because I want to remember it for its laid-back pace and sunny atmosphere. I enjoyed the attention of some boys classes. Although there was no point, well-knowing that they have all the grades they need, the boys willingly collaborated during the lesson in a greater number than usual. I sensed a bit of courtesy in their demeanor. They wanted to please me maybe thinking that we will soon part for the duration of a long holiday. I was amused especially of one boy, whom I had complimented. He was all smile and very delighted to write on the blackboard (while during other classes there is an entire process of negotiation to get them to offer to write on the blackboard).
I was amused also by another student met on the hallway. He is a handsome gypsy young man  with long ears and a big slick white smile. These days he is amused of something he heard on TV and he asks everybody he meets if they know how you say Yes in Swedish. When the other person answers negatively, of course, he has a great satisfaction in yelling a loud "Yaaa!"I had seen this scene in their class, but he forgot and tried to do the same with me. Unfortunately for him, I pretended not to understand the question and asked him to repeat the question several times. Then I pretended to misunderstand whet he was asking and started to twist the question. In the end he gave up and went on his way, without the satisfaction of saying his favourite word of the week.
Another entertaining aspect of the day was represented by the electoral talks. Some colleagues were exhausted after the night spent counting the votes for the local elections, but this didn't stop them from debating their results. All of them, regardless of the political colour, appreciated that these elections were fair, not vote theft being made. This really makes me glad. I am not really interested now about who wins the elections, but I am very happy to see that things are fair, that were are losing a bit of our Balkan corruptible spirit.
A big focus for the discussion was the fact that the most unexpected candidate won the elections in a nearby town. It seems nobody had expected this and they were making a lot of suppositions regarding this. Thus I found out some colourful details about the political games around. It's always interesting to open a window and have a perspective towards another world, and I have to admit that the local political scene has been foreign to me until recently. Only now I discover that it is as interesting as the national one. And sometimes the gossip is much juicier  :) .
So, I found out that the candidate which was expected to win had the support of two gypsy clans until two weeks ago. That meant a great advantage mainly due to the fact that in that town the gypsy population is in majority. But a week ago, the leader of a very small national party came to that town. That man is known mainly for his on-going scandalous shows aired on his private televisions. It seems he talked with the gypsy population and promised them some things if they vote for his local candidate. Of course, my colleagues, belonging to other parties, didn't have a clue about what was said then but it was funny to hear the game of suppositions and jokes about that. The suppositions went from unpaid public transport, pavement in all the neighbouring villages to helicopters and stadiums.
I found out the history of the winning candidate. He has been a student of our school two years ago. Although I vaguely remember his name, I can't match a face with it. He as been a student of mine for sure, but the fact that he didn't make a lasting impression on me makes me believe he isn't that remarkable, although the speakers considered him a cleaver enough guy. He is said to be known for  owning a shop in that town. Thus he got to know the gypsy clan leaders there. Then he got the support of my town mayor, who is a very wealthy and influential man. Our mayor even became his wedding godfather. And thus he got to became finally a mayor. The final consensus was that it doesn't matter how he won the elections, what matters what he will do as a mayor. I've seen this is the general agreement nowadays- to forgive the way the politicians gain power as long as they do what is needed for the community (the well-known motto- the purpose excuses the means).
Another funny thing was a gossip about a young town hall candidate from my own town. They were commenting about his very unorthodox declarations made during his campaign. It seems he said that he has a very strong spiritual power and he is able to attract towards us para-psychological, astrological force. He promised that if the becomes mayor he will build in our town the biggest building in the country. His plan was to build it in the shape of a cross as to attract positive forces here. I couldn't believe that such a man really had the support of a party. But my colleagues were more than willing to show me his declarations about these in local newspapers and TV stations.
Hearing all these, I felt sorry I didn't have time to follow the local election campaign. I won't make this mistake again. It's obviously very exciting and with very diverse and striking characters.

No comments: