Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pelicans

Invasion of pelicans
Seeing these rows of pelicans descending towards the water reminds me of this spring and the thousands of storks seen on the fields around. I've seen this year more birds together than ever. Maybe it is a sign that they like these places again. Maybe we have less pollution, overcrowding than other places they used to dwell. All the same, I am always glad to see these guests, especially because I find birds very funny.
Thinking of pelicans, I remember a a very clumsy pelican seen in the zoo. It received a fish but it had problems finding it. Other birds in the enclosure tried to steal it away, but fortunately for the pelican, the fish was too big for them. When it finally managed to grab it, it kept dropping it on both sides of its beak. I laughed my head off, but it was very patient and it didn't give up. Finally it managed to take the fish in its beak and make that pelican characteristic membrane bag under the beak. I always thought that when they have that bag, they resemble Hardy from the famous Laurel and Hardy comic couple.

No comments: