Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Uneventful

I had the hiccups all day. Seeing me holding my breath, some students thought their classroom smelt bad and they opened the window. It is said that when you have the hiccups, somebody is talking about you. I was thinking who had so many things to say about me and when would they stop to allow me the teach my classes properly. Of course, I am sure that it was only the change in temperature. I think it was funny though to see my attempts to speak, muffled immediately by a loud hiccup.
Today, nothing great to report, except a delegation from a plant. The Turkish translator kept looking at me, which was very weird. He seemed a complete stranger to me. Finally, he decided to let me know that he was a former student of mine. Wanting to break the ice more I asked him smiling if I was harsh to him. The very serious answer was "kind of..." Imagine how I felt. The conclusion is that I should be kinder to my students, you never know where they'll end up.
Without any relation- I remembered something a friend told me about a teacher, who had been her neighbour.  He used to stay on his balcony and spy with binoculars on his neighbours - women. That reminded me of a joke about a boy who was asked by his parents to do the same thing. This was their solution to keep him busy while they were doing something else in the bedroom. As to make sure that he was safe on the balcony, his father told him to keep talking, telling him about what he was seeing.
The five years old soon became used to this routine. One evening,  he was sharing what he was seeing in the close-by apartment block like this: " I see old Mrs Johnson breast feeding her baby...Jane from the first floor is jumping over the window in her miniskirt while her parents watch the TV in the living room...Mr Black is trying a new red dress in the mirror...he doesn't look half bad, except for the beard...and I see also Michael, my kindergarten classmate, looking through his binoculars. He's freezing his pants off on the balcony while his parents are doing the same think as you do. Please finish quicker, dad!"
 



No comments: