Thursday, March 22, 2012

Road trip

Yesterday was a regular day, but tiresome so I couldn't convince myself to write anything. A girl locked in a cupboard was the only uncommon event. I began that class as usually but I was surprised by the outbursts of laughter from a group in the class. I almost got upset thinking that they had something with me, but they decided to share with me that they were laughing knowing about their classmate locked in the cupboard. I was scared of their actions and demanded them to unlock that as soon a.s.a.p. To my surprise, the girl was locked there with her own will. She kept insisting that she likes it in there and she would like to stay there the whole class. Off course, the scene was very funny for the whole class and there were several volunteers who wanted to squeeze in there with her. And these are 18-19 years old students.... I had some difficulties calming them down very fast. I wanted because I didn't want their uproar to alert the school, especially knowing that there were some officials in the school. I know that they took the permission of doing this with me, because I take it as a joke, while this would get them in serious trouble with other teachers. The rest of the class went great as usual with them. After the childhood act, they showed their grown-up side-seriousness in learning. Would you have done differently?
Today was another story, I had a road trip to another town for the semester's teacher's meeting. In the car, full with colleagues, we laughed and sang on 70's and 90's tunes all the way there and back. The trip began with emotions, when we had to go to the gas station, the car being in  serious danger of stopping from lack of fuel. The driver went in the gas station on the way of the exit, cutting sharply on the other circulation way. She didn't think too much at the dangerous maneuver, being used to it. To our surprise, in the gas station there were two police cars. We could already see the huge ticket, but the policeman fueling his car took a long, delighted look at her legs while she descended from the car and said nothing. I think she was lucky she was wearing a short skirt and a big butterfly smile. That was only the beginning!
When we arrived at the destination, we found all the front  parking lot full, so we parked it in the back. We left the car there with doubts that we would find it whole at our return. It has no alarm and that town is well-known for its colourful natives who like to collect and sell everything they can get their hands on. Ownership is overvalued there, finder's keepers is the law.
We got to the presented class late, but I don't think we missed much. It was very difficult to hear the teacher and when I heard her she was doing  some mistake. It was a weak, unfocused class, but I didn't want my colleagues to attack her and make her cry, as it happened before with other weak lessons from our department. I found out later that she received some harsh comments from two of my older colleagues in a short break we took.
As usual, in this situation, at the discussion part of the meeting there was an awkward long silence. Because I hate these tense moments, I made a habit of interrupting them saying something about the lesson. Thus, I opened the discussion and gave some suggestions for improvement. I congratulated her for her effort, of preparing lesson. Luckily this managed to guide the discussion to a more friendly path. Nobody felt inclined after that to throw a stone in that teacher. I feel well that I averted the war. I did my good deed for the day.  By the way, do you have suggestion on how to pacify a sharp tongued group of women? It seems they want to tear each other apart every time they meet. Is it woman's nature to gossip and throw poisoned arrows with an angelic smile on her face?


No comments: