Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tangled affairs

Last night was karaoke night in a local club. It was very interesting. In the beginning the club was half empty and there were only women with the exception of the DJ and waiters. All the men were at home watching an important national soccer match. So, we had to enjoy ourselves with some jokes, low music and drinks until the match was over. Soon after, the club began to fill and and fill and fill...There was no more space to move around. It seemed that all the younger population of the town was there. A lot of acquaintances and off course former students...It was a memorable night and we had a lot of fun. There were some new additions to the group and they really seemed to have fun. One of them was a former colleague who has lost her husband to a tumor this winter (after many years of pain and surgeries). She felt somehow guilty that she was going out while she is still in the mourning period. But everyone of us knew that she needed this, she had been too long in a tense situation which would break many people. This was for her spirit.
At a certain moment she saw an acquaintance and wondered if the person saw her. I'm sure the guild feeling came back and this stopped any idea of singing, but she enjoyed the atmosphere anyway. Going to the club she was saying that she wasn't going to stay long. But once she began enjoying herself she forgot about this resolution.
Our group doubled in size, a lot of people joining us. Among them was a former secretary from the school I' m teaching. There is an entire story with her. She worked for two years in the school and during this time she had an affair with the husband of an acquaintance (my mother's best friend's daughter).
The secretary wasn't very discreet and she began telling all the details of her affair, everything that was happening,  to a colleague of hers. As it happens, that one is a friend of mine. She began telling me about her colleague and her affairs, because she was married and sleeping with another married man at the same time, as a study material. We were talking about her behaviour around school and her unrequited confession as examples of a mental illness. She seemed to exhibit signs of mental distress, and she had even confessed of being committed for a while for mental problems. My friend was telling me all about these, from a professional point of view, both of us having psychology studies.
That's how I got a lot of information about her love life, without knowing whose husband she was seeing. I put everything together the moment when all hell broke loose. The wife, the daughter of my mother's friend, found out about the affair. It was funny to find out then a lot of information about their circle of friends. For example, I found out that the wife went together with her marriage godmother and looked for her to confront her. Not finding her, they egged her car. They also went to another place she was working and found the wife of the business owner. They let her know what kind of person she was- a thief of husbands. That woman was suspecting her husband of also having an affair with her, so she took advantage of this and pressured him to fire her.
Being fired from there and not having the secretary job either because of personnel cuts, she went abroad. This put an end, somehow, to her affair with the husband of my acquaintance. But overtime she returns to town they "reconnect" and my acquaintance begins to panic and boil. She didn't divorce her husband, in spite of having proof of his infidelity (recordings from his phones in which she had put microphones). She motivated this with the fact that she couldn't divide yet the business they have together. In fact, I think she is still stuck with him. She married from love and she can't let him go yet. (I wonder what she saw in him. He is shorter than her and fat for his age, while she is beautiful. She had been a fashion model for years. Maybe that saying -"Love is blind" is true after all.)
This morning, while sill in bed, I received an interested phone call. It seems the wife, my acquaintance, was at the club too. I didn't see her. And she wanted to ask me to let her know what I can find out about "the purpose and duration" of her husband's mistress in town. She saw the other one at my table and wants me to have my ears peeled to anything she says in my circle of friends. Ufff...
A, and this is not all. I promised you entanglements int he title. Here they come. I told you about the friend, the marriage godmother, with whom the wife egged the mistress's car. She is also a very beautiful woman, petite and blond. She is married with a cop in a high position in the county. He is a kind of a relative of mine, through marriage. So I have known him for some years and I know he is a very appreciated person in his professional circle but also in the family group. I found out that he also leads a double life. While his wife was very furious on my acquaintance's husband for his affair and saying like a proof of her abilities that she "would cut his balls off" if she finds out that he is cheating on her, he had several girlfriends. I found out that he was in fact the one who introduced the secretary to his marriage godson. I think, this happened after he got to know her better first. It has a logic. He had to know the merchandise if he wanted to recommended her, isn't it? It doesn't matter that he has a beautiful wife, two small children and a reputation to protect. Maybe he needs to prove that he is the best not only at work, but also in his personal life and other women are like decorations on his chest.
 A, I think there will be new developments on another front too. That former secretary came to our table with another colleague of ours. His wife had to work this night. When I met her yesterday, I was joking telling her that I will take care of him in her absence and present him some nice ladies. But after all, he seems not to need any introductions if he came with that one. His wife is a very fiery person and if she suspects anything wrong, there will be some "sparkles". But maybe, there is nothing there. I really like this colleague and I don't want him to stray and have problems in his marriage. Maybe he brought her to introduce her to another one at the table. We'll see.
And things go on like this. I will be waiting to see what follows in this real- life soap opera.

No comments: